September 4, 2020
September Together Tips: Resting, Recharging & Resetting
Shared in our September 2020 Newsletter.
Dear Together Friends, Fans, and Family,
Hi. Just hi. How ARE you? Between Hurricane Laura’s devastation, Jacob Blake’s unconscionable shooting, and being pulled back and forth between virtual-non-virtual-hybrid-synchronous-all-of-the-things-school delays, it is too much. And our surge capacity is depleted. At least mine is. But, the ten year old requested her very own unicorn planner, and we attempted a September calendar, so #togetherstudent.
But I found some peace in re-learning about adult play and adult recess, and I was reminded whimsy is my play language. I may or may not have ordered some neon flamingos for the front of my house. Under county guidelines here in Maryland, I’m restarting my Together Troop Leader action with my sixth year leading the Girl Scouts – backyarded, masked, and distanced. This will be a new challenge, but our girls need it right now. I will report back. I know many of your schools are thinking about socioemotional health right now. . . any resources to share? Write me here with your approach!
PS. . . Love this quick read on starting the year virtually from one of my favorite local Together Teachers, Merna Fam. Check it out! And if you need support staying organized while Teaching-From-Home, we have you covered.
Together Treasure Box
Check out these past resources from our blog as you are setting up your space for a new school year!
- Need a screen break? Me too. Check out Steve’s hand-drawn Weekly Worksheet.
- How to plan ahead when everything is uncertain? Diana found a way.
- Figuring out your online teaching prep? Check out alllll of my tech and comfort set up. And of course a Together Tray or two.
Top Together Tributes
- Top Tech Tool: Using Zoom for distance learning? Click here for some keyboard shortcuts to make your sessions easier!
- Top New Teacher Tips: If you are a new teacher (or feel like you’re new with online learning), take a look at this video from @blackteacherstravel for some great reminders for the upcoming school year. And thanks for the shout-out!
- Top Planning Protocol: Learn about resilient pedagogy with this approach, which will help your lesson plans stay flexible if your mode of teaching changes!
- Top Self-Care Strategies: Work-life balance is harder to maintain when working or teaching from home. Here are some tips for getting your balance back!
Click here to reserve your own Together (Online) Training. We have 2, 4, and 6-hour versions available in August – December!