Dear Together Friends, Fans, and Family,
So apparently there is this thing called TikTok that I just discovered. Have you heard of it?
I kid, I kid. (Though I have tried to convince my children that my phone doesn’t support games or social media, AND THEY ALMOST BELIEVE ME!)
Maia’s Adventures in TikTok Land began when I wanted to cook this feta cheese thing, and then fell down a rabbit hole of teacher hilarity about Folding in the Cheese. And while I’ve never seen Schitt’s Creek (stop yelling at me, I don’t like comedy, I’m a drama woman!), I’m thinking I should take a spin ever since the incident with the LA teachers. Was this a compliment? Unclear.
Over here in the Together Universe, after an epic moment of Pandemic Panic, we have been thinking a lot about gratitude in all places, especially in the midst of our country’s grief. I have never been one to be fully moved by numbers, but individual stories do choke me up. I got sucked into an Adam Grant vortex after this podcast (and reviewing this past book), been trying to send Certificates of Awesome to my girlfriends (hat tip, Beth!), and spent time writing Google reviews for small business owners who’ve saved me, from my physical therapist for my back or the amazing shoe repair place that reincarnated my winter boots!
As we come up on marking one year since the pandemic turned the world upside down (not really an anniversary worth celebrating, but perhaps one worth honoring), my friend Lindsay sent along these helpful journal prompts. Per usual, I found my solace in strenuous outdoor activity. This time, I headed to the woods of West Virginia to reflect on how my team has adapted to meet the needs of the moment, how we are still learning, and if I’m energized or exhausted by helping others and pivoting 15 years of hard work. Both. I think I’m both. Speaking of, almost TEN years after its iconic original release, The Together Teacher Second Edition (with over 30 percent new content!) is available for pre-sale. If your original copy is dog-eared and bookmarked, please consider ordering a new copy!
We are in summer planning mode these days, but our spring classes are in full force, our Together Forever private group (have you joined?) is hopping, and we are all looking for light wherever we can find it. I mean, viral cat lawyer?!? Add this to the pandas rolling in snow and maybe I AM a video person. . . Send me your best clips!
PS Now that February Film Tuesdays are done, the kiddos and I have started Walking Wednesdays. Per usual, we have a mileage competition and the walk ends at our local bagel/donut shop. How far should we walk next? Also, YOUR WALK WON’T SAVE YOU!
PPS Apropos of exactly nothing, I’ve been on a bit of a baking kick and decided I need to be the woman who shows up to (eventual) barbecues with these ready to go. DELISH. And oh so retro.
Together Treasure Box (From the Blog!)
- How do you get through tough times? My fifth grader says she breaks a 3-hour miserable field hockey practice into 18 10-minute chunks. Read here how I “segment” to get through strenuous activities.
- Trying to Stay Organized during Online Teaching? Me too! Check out my Toby tabs, Nearpod folders, and Together Trays. Also, I think Obama has a Together Tray. Just saying.
- Need a One-Stop-Shop Togetherness Solution? Check out Dwenette’s (school leader in Lubbock) combo Together Leader moves. Other options here and here.
Top Together Tributes
- Top Resiliency Read: Find suggestions here on how to lead while managing work-life exhaustion. You can’t soothe your team with spreadsheets!
- Top Simulcasting Strategies: If you are teaching online and in-person at the same time, these strategies may be for you!
- Top Friend Favor: Have you tried cold-calling your friends during the pandemic? I do this all the time. Try this joyous favor! Sidenote: My girlfriends and I made our debut in The Atlantic!
- Top Workload Woes: Do you tell your students how long assignments should take? Read these theories about pandemic workload changes.
- Top Online Learning Workshops: Check out these free sessions from Relay GSE on online facilitation and engagement! Additionally NXU has launched their Find Your Purpose workshops again! Super awesome for teachers and students alike!
Click here to reserve your own Together (Online) Training. We have 2, 4, and 6-hour versions ready to go!