Dear Together Friends, Fans, and Family,
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
I swear, I had a lovely May note planned for you all, possibly using this nifty gadget (Thanks, SLK!). Alas, I barely wrote a blog post, and that hardly ever happens! By way of explanation. . .
Between this A week / B week situation, an amazing online teaching marathon, and then my battle with shingles (being a solo, self-employed parent in a pandemic is VERY STRESSFUL and yes, I’m too young for the shingles vaccine, thank you very much!!!), life had other plans for me.
Add to this a few mini “Calendar Collisions:” kid home with allergies, host site needing a class time change, and last-minute page proof edits. I was just putting one foot in front of the other. But because I had planned ahead (but not folded laundry), I somehow managed to keep up my Zoom fashion, spend some blustery beach time with my kiddos, and tell people that the bump on my head was actually the well-earned result of catching a fly ball at a Nats game (eyes closed, behind the back, and lefty, natch.)
I remain hopeful that my April showers will bring May flowers. I’ve been immersed in many individual stories of courage right now, most notably this documentary about the soundtrack of my childhood, this article about my favorite TV host, and this recently published memoir by one amazing senator and veteran. These stories have buoyed my hope, both when I feel personally challenged and when I consider the systemic issues we are collectively tackling. The decision should not have been a nail-biter.
PS Did you know that The Together Teacher 2nd Edition is officially ready for pre-order?!? We have at least 30 percent new content for you, with chapters on planning, grading, and digital life. If your decade-old, dog-eared copy needs a refresh (no more Blackberries!) or you want to gift a new teacher, pre-order here.
PPS Planning summer professional development for leaders, teachers, or managers? Email me here to get your team Together-ed up!
Together Treasure Box (From the Blog!)
- Finding it difficult to stay motivated for the end of school year? This teacher-self-care menu might be just what you need to push through!
- Looking for a change? Here are some tips for job and career searching.
- DON’T WORRY, SUMMER IS COMING! After you take your break, exhale, and give yourself the world’s biggest hug for making it through this year, check out these ideas from an “oldie, but goodie” post to help you prepare for the next one!
Top Together Tributes
- Top Student Encourager: Support student relationships and boost self-esteem with handwritten notes, like this teacher shares.
- Top Student Success Series: Begin planning ahead for student success with this series from Relay Graduate School of Education!
- Top Culture-Building Workshops: Commit to building (or maintaining) an inclusive, anti-racist culture by attending workshops like the ones here (hurry, they are filling up fast!).
- Top Powerful Project: Get kids engaged and involved in their community with this Campaign Project idea!
- Top Summer School Considerations: Read here if you’re deciding on post-pandemic summer school for your students or children.
Click here to reserve your own Together (Online) Training. We have 2, 4, and 6-hour versions ready to go!